Engineering & Construction
The Engineering & Construction (E&C) Department provides the infrastructure required to operate the Metrolink commuter rail system through the design and construction of new facilities, and the maintenance, rehabilitation, inspection, coordination, and management of the infrastructure. The purpose and objective of this department is to provide safe, regulatory compliant, and reliable track, bridge, and station facilities that meet the expectation of Metrolink and other passengers, freight operators, the public, and elected officials. The E&C Department creates and maintains the Engineering Standards, Standard Specifications, Design Criteria Manual, Design Procedures Manual, Design Quality Assurance Plan, QA/QC Manual, CADD Manual and User Guide, and Track Charts.
SCRRA is entrusted (by the member agencies) with extremely valuable assets; the railroad corridors that were acquired by the railroad companies in the 1870s to 1900s and maintained and defended ever since. Designs must optimize the use of this asset in the following aspects of the agency’s functions.
- The Strategic Plan has postulated ridership growth and the train operations and infrastructure needed to achieve this growth. The Design Division supports the orderly transition from these concepts to constructed projects by several stages of increasing refined design and cost estimating.
- The designs must build a very high-quality infrastructure that can be relied upon for this service expansion.
- The designs must accommodate potential or probable expansions in the capacity of the infrastructure such as much higher speed operation, electric traction power, heavier freight loads, or compatible shared uses of the corridor.
2558 Supply Street
Pomona, CA 91767
- In case of signal emergencies or grade crossing problems, call SCRRA's 24-hour toll-free signal emergency number (888) 446-9721. The telephone number and grade crossing numbers assigned by the Department of Transportation (DOT) and California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) are located on the signal house located at each crossing.
- Underground Service Alert of California (DIGALERT) at (800) 227-2600 or 811, railway companies, and utility companies shall be notified prior to performing any excavation close to any underground pipeline, conduit, duct, wire, or other structure.
- SCRRA is not a member of DIGALERT, it is, therefore, necessary to call SCRRA Signal Department at (909) 592-1346 to mark, at Public Agency or Contractor’s cost and expense, signal and communication cables and conduits.
|Justin Fornelli||Chief, Program Delivery|
|Elizabeth Lun||Acting Assistant Director, SCORE Program|
|Andy Althorp||Acting Assistant Director, Project Management|
|Aaron Azevedo||Acting Assistant Director, Structures & Stations|
|Joseph McNeely||Principal Engineer, Design & Engineering|
|Christos Sourmelis||Coordinator, Right-of-Way|
|Scott Mallette||Business Analyst|
|Hannah Dizon||Department Assistant|
Engineering Standards Errata (Updated 04-08-2021)
Engineering Standards Disclaimer
0000 - Index of Engineering Standards (Updated 04-08-2021)
1000 - General (Updated 01-19-2021)
2000 - Track (Updated 04-08-2021)
2000 - Turnouts Common Standards
2000 - Turnouts Concrete Crossovers
2000 - Turnouts Maintenance Only
2000 - Turnouts No 8
2000 - Turnouts No 8 Double Slip
2000 - Turnouts No 10 Double Slip
2000 - Turnouts No 10
2000 - Turnouts No 14
2000 - Turnouts No 20
2000 - Turnouts No 24
3000 - Stations (Updated 01-19-2021)
4000 - Grade Crossings (Updated 01-19-2021)
5000 - Right-of-Way (Updated 01-19-2021)
6000 - Structures (Updated 01-19-2021)
7000 - Maintenance and Layover Facilities
Access to SSI protected documents here
SCRRA CADD Manual
SCRRA Geodetic Control Survey Network
SCRRA Grade Crossing Manual (Updated 01-12-2021)
Design Criteria Manual (Updated 06-02-2021)
Design Criteria Manual Errata (Updated 06-02-2021)
Design Procedures Manual
Appendix A - SCRRA Standard Forms
Appendix B - Sample Documents
Design Quality Assurance Plan
SCRRA Right of Way Encroachment Process
Right of Way Encroachment Application
Schedule of Fees for Third Party Construction (Updated 09-03-2020)
SCRRA Form No. 4 – Agreement for Moving Oversized Loads over Highway-Rail Grade Crossings
SCRRA Form No. 5 – Indemnification and Assumption of Liability Agreement (Updated 08-06-2019)
SCRRA Form No. 6 – Temporary Right-of-Entry Agreement (Updated 08-06-2019)
SCRRA Form No. 37 – Rules and Requirements for Construction on Railway Property
Site Specific Work Plan (SSWP)
Train Traffic Density Exhibit for SCRRA System (Updated 01-29-2019)
General Safety Regulation for Third Party Construction