Engineering & Construction
The Engineering & Construction (E&C) Department provides the infrastructure required to operate the Metrolink commuter rail system through the design and construction of new facilities, and the maintenance, rehabilitation, inspection, coordination, and management of the infrastructure. The purpose and objective of this department is to provide safe, regulatory compliant, and reliable track, bridge, and station facilities that meet the expectation of Metrolink and other passengers, freight operators, the public, and elected officials. The E&C Department creates and maintains the Engineering Standards, Standard Specifications, Design Criteria Manual, Design Procedures Manual, Design Quality Assurance Plan, QA/QC Manual, CADD Manual and User Guide, and Track Charts.
SCRRA is entrusted (by the member agencies) with extremely valuable assets; the railroad corridors that were acquired by the railroad companies in the 1870s to 1900s and maintained and defended ever since. Designs must optimize the use of this asset in the following aspects of the agency’s functions.
- The Strategic Plan has postulated ridership growth and the train operations and infrastructure needed to achieve this growth. The Design Division supports the orderly transition from these concepts to constructed projects by several stages of increasing refined design and cost estimating.
- The designs must build a very high-quality infrastructure that can be relied upon for this service expansion.
- The designs must accommodate potential or probable expansions in the capacity of the infrastructure such as much higher speed operation, electric traction power, heavier freight loads, or compatible shared uses of the corridor.
- If you have a project that will occur on or near the Metrolink Right-of-Way please refer to our Right-of-Way Encroachment page for forms, procedures, and Train Traffic Density information.
2558 Supply Street
Pomona, CA 91767
- In case of signal emergencies or grade crossing problems, call SCRRA's 24-hour toll-free signal emergency number (888) 446-9721. The telephone number and grade crossing numbers assigned by the Department of Transportation (DOT) and California Public Utilities Commission (CPUC) are located on the signal house located at each crossing.
- Underground Service Alert of California (DIGALERT) at (800) 227-2600 or 811, railway companies, and utility companies shall be notified prior to performing any excavation close to any underground pipeline, conduit, duct, wire, or other structure.
- SCRRA is not a member of DIGALERT, it is, therefore, necessary to call SCRRA Signal Department at (909) 592-1346 to mark, at Public Agency or Contractor’s cost and expense, signal and communication cables and conduits.
|Justin Fornelli||Chief, Program Delivery|
|Tarek Diab||Program Management Oversight|
|Elizabeth Lun||Assistant Director, Design|
|Andy Althorp||Assistant Director, Construction|
|Aaron Azevedo||Assistant Director, Rehabilitation|
|Hannah Reyes||Executive Assistant|
Engineering Standards Disclaimer
0000 - Index of Engineering Standards (Updated 04-08-2021)
1000 - General (Updated 01-19-2021)
2000 - Track (Updated 04-08-2021)
2000 - Turnouts Common Standards
2000 - Turnouts Concrete Crossovers
2000 - Turnouts Maintenance Only
2000 - Turnouts No 8
2000 - Turnouts No 8 Double Slip
2000 - Turnouts No 10 Double Slip
2000 - Turnouts No 10
2000 - Turnouts No 14
2000 - Turnouts No 20
2000 - Turnouts No 24
3000 - Stations (Updated 08-04-2022)
4000 - Grade Crossings (Updated 01-19-2021)
5000 - Right-of-Way (Updated 01-19-2021)
6000 - Structures (Updated 01-19-2021)
7000 - Maintenance and Layover Facilities
Access to sensitive security information (SSI) protected standards (ES8000 Signals, ES8900 Fiber, ES9000 Communications) here
SCRRA Standard Specifications (Updated 05-19-2022)
SCRRA Standard Specifications Errata (Updated 05-19-2022)
SCRRA Standard Specifications and Bid Quantities Items Check List
SCRRA CADD Manual
SCRRA Geodetic Control Survey Network
SCRRA Grade Crossing Manual (Updated 09-15-2021)
SCRRA Grade Crossing Manual Errata (Updated 09-15-2021)
Design Criteria Manual (Updated 02-23-2022)
Design Criteria Manual Errata (Updated 02-23-2022)
Design Procedures Manual
Appendix A - SCRRA Standard Forms
Appendix B - Sample Documents
Design Quality Assurance Plan